Saturday, February 28, 2009

Remembering Uncle Carl

I got the sad news that my uncle Carl Mohler was killed in a fire on February 24th. Carl was a jack of all trades. He knew fiberglass, mechanics and farming. He was interested in the world. An ardent supporter of MCC, he was always inquisitive about my travels and informed about goings on in the world. During our six year stint in the Philippines Carl and his wife Electa stored our things in the basement in their home near Denver, Pennsylvania. This is just one of the many things that Carl did for us during our years in Africa and Asia. Our boys were especially fond of him for tractor rides and other mechanical things he relished in showing them.

The last time I saw him was at a weekly gathering of my mother’s siblings who live in Lancaster County. It was two days before I left on this Sudan trip and now I recognize the gift to spend that few hours together. Carl seemed so calm and at peace with himself.

I will miss him but know that his life was one of service to others and through that giving of himself, his legacy will carry on for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment